Various Artists - The Best Of 2 Tone [2LP] (180 Gram, feats. The Specials, Madness, The Beat, etc.)
In 1979 Jerry Dammers from ska band The Specials launched the cult music label 2 Tone Records, with the support of major label Chrysalis. 2 Tone was most famous for releasing ska and reggae-influenced music with a punk rock and pop music overtone, spawned from the 2 Tone music and cultural movement of the 1970s.
Artwork was central to 2 Tone Records and with the assistance of Horace Panter and graphic designer John ''Teflon'' Sims, Dammers created the Walt Jabsco logo which portrays a man in a black suit, white shirt, black tie, pork pie hat, white socks and black loafers. The fictional character was based on a photograph of Peter Tosh, a former member of The Wailers and came to be the logo that represented the movement, and the music.
The Best of 2 Tone is a new compilation of the best tracks from the label's history, including The Specials 'A Message to You Rudy', the debut single from Madness 'The Prince' and The Beat's classic cover of Smokey Robinson's 'Tears of a Clown'
1. Gangsters - The Special AKA
2. The Selecter - The Selecter
3. The Prince - Madness
4. On My Radio - The Selecter
5. A Message To You Rudy - The Specials
6. Tears Of A Clown - The Beat
7. Too Much Too Young - The Special AKA
8. Three Minute Hero - The Selecter
9. Ranking Full Stop - The Beat
10. Rat Race - The Specials
11. People Do Rocksteady - Bodysnatchers
12. Missing Words - The Selecter
13. Stereotype - The Specials
14. Sea Cruise - Rico
15. Do Nothing - The Specials
16. Ghost Town - The Specials
17. Nelson Mandela - The Special AKA
18. The Boiler - Rhoda and The Special AKA